Narration rules of modal auxiliary verb
When we transform from direct to indirect, we have to change tense and here is the 12 tense rules & example for narration. Here we also give narration rules of the modal auxiliary verb with examples.
Note-1: Modal auxiliary verb: can, may, shall, will
|SL||Direct Speech||Indirect Speech|
|Example||She said to me, “I can do it”||She told me that she could do it.|
|Example||He said to himself, “It may rain today.”||He told himself that it might rain that day.|
|Example||I said to him, “I shall do it”||I told him that I should do it.|
|Example||Labiba said to Kotha, “I will meet you.”||Labiba told Kotha that she would meet her.|
Note-2: Modal auxiliary verb: should, would, could, might
|Example||I said to Sakil, “You should not do it”||I said to Sakil that he should not do that.|
|Example||I told him, “It would have been great if you had visited us”||I told him that that would have been great if you had visited us.|
|Example||Payel said to Borsha, “This might be done by you.”||Payel told Borsha that this might be done by her(Borsha).|
|Example||He said to her, “I could do that”||He told that her he could do that.|
|Note-3: Modal auxiliary verb: must|
|Example||Mother said to me, “You must respect you teachers”||Mother told me that I must respect my teachers.|
|Example||Father said to me, “You must clean your dress”||Father told me that I had to clean my dress.|
|11||Tense||must||Would have to|
|Example||I said to my wife, “I must change this house if the owner increase the fare of the house.”||I told my wife that I would have to change this house if the owner increased the fare of the house.|
Now Your Turn: Change the following speech
- Father said to his son, “You must obey your teacher”
- Sangida said, “I must write a letter”.
- He said, “We must leave the house if the rent is increased”.
- Lubna said, “I am leaving Dhaka this month”.
- He said to me, “You may stay here”.
- The teacher said to the student, “You can get A+ if you study hard”
- She said to him, “I shall come this month”
- Tonni said to me, “You will do this work.”
- Shompa said to me, “I would go”.
- Riya said to me, “You might go”
- He said to me, “you had better go”.
- He said, “It is time we left the place”.
- The girl said, “I wish I sang”.
- The teacher said to the students, “You ought to/should/must pay attention to my lecture”.
- I said to him, “If I were you, I should wait”.
Md Sayed Ali
Latest posts by Md Sayed Ali (see all)
- Most Common Mistakes in English Grammar -01 - May 4, 2020
- 12 Tense Structure and Examples - October 24, 2019
- Tense কি? Tense কত প্রকার ও কি কি? উদাহরণ সহ - October 12, 2019
- All About Tense - October 3, 2019
- Revised Marks Distribution for JSC/JDC Examination from 2018 - June 26, 2018